Overseas Pakistanis are playing a pivotal role in national development and prosperity. Overseas Pakistanis have proved their talent in various fields of life including education, games, technology, business, and others. Pakistan is proud of all its overseas nationals who not only send foreign exchange amounting to billions of rupees but also act as its ambassadors contributing towards image building of the country abroad. Their contribution to the economy of Pakistan and their role in the development of host countries, their spirit of patriotism and their potential as Pakistani is a bridge to the outside world. All around the globe, potential Pakistani overseas are promoting a positive image of Pakistan. Let's evaluate their overall effective role in the progress of the country.
Overseas’ Contribution in the Economic Development of Pakistan
The role of Overseas Pakistanis cannot be ignored to put the country on the road of development and progress. The contribution of the overseas in strengthening the economy of the country is very significant. Many skilled and unskilled laborers working in abroad are playing a major role in bringing sustainable development to the country. It is estimated that about 6.3 million overseas Pakistanis are essentially contributing to national treasure working in different parts of the world. The major push from the countries of Middle East according to figures where reside many Pakistanis for business or work purposes.
How Are They Increasing GDP of the Country?
The overseas Pakistanis are playing a vital role in stabilizing the economy of the country by foreign transfers and investment in the country. The recent contribution of foreign transfers to GDP is more than 4 percent and is still increasing the foreign exchange capitals. It may become the main contributor to the capitals of the country after some years. The banking system in the country should be equipped well to enable the fast and hassle-free transfers to encourage this trend. This can be done by expanding the banking network and opening new branches in the host countries. This would discourage illegal transfer methods like hundi business and guarantee transfers through legal networks.
Their Appreciating Role in Welfare Activities in Pakistan
Pakistani overseas are providing great funds in the education and social welfare projects. They are always ready to help the country in the moments of disaster and emergency. A good example could be seen when overseas Pakistanis contributed big-heartedly to help the victims of Kashmir earthquake. They also helped the victims of floods in 2010. Many trust societies are running by Pakistani overseas to lessen the scale of poverty and illiteracy of the country.
What should be the Government’s Role to Solve the Problems of Overseas?
The overseas Pakistanis are a big asset for the nation. Pakistani overseas are playing a vital role in making the economy of the country better and they need special attention. The well-being of 90 million overseas Pakistanis is the most important responsibility of the government. The government also made all out efforts to resolve the problems of overseas Pakistanis and create reasonable facilities for their families in Pakistan. The government should take the following steps to ensure the safety and betterment of the overseas Pakistanis.
- Provision of more facilities and resolution of problems being faced by overseas should be the topmost priority of the government.
- The government should formulate such policies and programmes to inspire overseas skilled workers to increase their transmittals.
- Pakistani government should make easy procedures of investment and create means for safe and profitable reserves by overseas.
- The Overseas Pakistanis Foundation (OPF) should further develop its role and provide services such as counselling for profitable investment to the returning workers, to help influential investors, to provide loans to the children of deceased overseas and developing housing facilities for their families.
- Pakistani embassies should organize national days and events to encourage mutual interaction among overseas. They also facilitate them to organize themselves in social and welfare societies overseas. By promoting mutual interaction and relationship among them can help to use their influence on the host countries to improve Pakistan ‘s soft and good image out of the country.